Re: [Evolution] What happened to Evolution?

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 21:04 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:

Let's all please remember that virtually no useful information can be provided regarding mail component behavior unless you tell us WHAT SERVER TYPE YOU USE.

POP?  IMAP?  Google?  Exchange?  Etc.  All these things have different behavior and requirements.

Le lundi 20 décembre 2010 à 09:14 -0500, Darren Govoni a écrit :
> 1) I now get frequent "error storing folders", "error generating
> message list"
> 2) It's so slow. It is always "Storing folder", taking almost minutes
> to complete. Its on average 5-8x slower
> downloading, storing and viewing messages.
> 3) Its very buggy. When new messages arrive, they no longer show up in
> the folder I'm viewing.
> I have to click another folder and click back to see them.
> 4) For the first time ever, it corrupted my email files and I had to
> recover from backup.

I had these issues until I understood that the deleted messages are not
deleted. They are simply hidden. Thus the mailboxes become huge and
unusable. There is no automatic purge of deleted messages. This is a
flaw in the design of Evolution.

No it isn't... if you're using IMAP.

Use the purge feature. I don't remember exactly where it is hidden. I
think it is in Folder=>Clean (or something like that).

It's called Expunge and it's under the Folder menu.

Or you can use the handy CTRL-E shortcut.

Yes you are right. Using PostgreSQL to store the messages would make
more sense.

It depends on what kind of mail backend you use.  It makes no sense for any backend that leaves data on the server (basically ALL of them except POP).