Re: [Evolution] What happened to Evolution?

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 12:31 -0800, Tory M Blue wrote:
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 21:04 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
Le lundi 20 décembre 2010 à 09:14 -0500, Darren Govoni a écrit :
1) I now get frequent "error storing folders", "error generating
message list"
2) It's so slow. It is always "Storing folder", taking almost minutes
to complete. Its on average 5-8x slower
downloading, storing and viewing messages.
3) Its very buggy. When new messages arrive, they no longer show up in
the folder I'm viewing.

You are not kidding, F12 Evolution 2.28.3

Pile of crud.. I use it because I need MAPI (or prefer it I guess).
But I can't edit a distribution list without it crashing. It crashes a
few times a day when loading in large qty of mail and I select to view
or try to filter or something.

You didn't say what your Evolution server type is.  There are two
backends that can connect to Exchange: the Exchange backend and the MAPI
backend.

The Exchange backend is actually very stable and works very well.  The
problem with it is that it only works with Exchange 2003.  You can't use
it with Exchange 2007.

If you must use the MAPI backend then yes, it is pretty bad.  I would
consider it proof-of-concept _at best_; definitely not even alpha
quality much less release.  Some of that may be due to the MAPI
libraries it uses (these are from the Apache folks), and THAT is because
MAPI is a proprietary protocol that Microsoft was only relatively
recently forced to publish (by the EU); before that it was all trial and
error.  But another part of it is that there doesn't seem to be much
priority on making it work well from the Evo side.  Or maybe there
aren't people with the right skills and/or right equipment (an Exchange
server is obviously required, which is not something your average home
hacker has lying around).

I've basically given up using the MAPI backend and switched to running
Outlook inside Wine (via Crossover Office).  It crashes sometimes but
it's not much worse than Outlook on Windows, from what I've seen.

My company is going to be moving from Exchange to Lotus Notes soon
anyway so the entire issue will soon be moot (for me).

Anyone have a Notes backend for Evolution? :-)