Re: [Evolution] Evolution and Firefox

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 10:31 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 10:10 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
I'm not absolutely certain, but I understood that firefox is not a
gnome
app, just built with gtk+ (like a qt app that isn't full blown KDE).
You don't need to load gnome to run firefox (or gtk+ based
openoffice).
You will need gnome to run evolution, though.

And to allow clicking on mailto: links from Firefox pages. If you open
about:config in FF, you'll find no reference to Evolution even if it's
configured as your mail client, so I conclude that FF is using the Gnome
config system for this.

Except I have a KDE PC (Kubuntu) that doesn't have any gnome installed.
I specifically did not install firefox from the Ubuntu repositories
because it wanted to install gnome.  Instead I installed it from
mozilla.com and put it statically in /opt and it runs fine.  Admittedly
the mailto links open kmail, but I just set that in ff's about:config.

Clearly, you would need gnome to have the links open evolution, because
you would need gnome to run evolution, but not so for firefox and its
interaction with things not gnome.

Same with running apps like qt-parted and q-dvdauthor under gnome.  You
need the qt libs, but not KDE.

--
Art Alexion
MIS