[Evolution] NetworkManager -- (Was Re: Spamfiltering with evolution - NO LONGER WORKS)

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 09:24 -0500, Chris Williams wrote:
Hi Patrick,
There's a toggle called apps->Evolution->Shell->start_offline but I've
tried it both on and off without having any effect.

I use enlightenment as my WM and experienced this for a while sometime
last year.  It had something to do with NetworkManager and evo taking
it's on/offline cues from that.  I thought it was fixed in one of the
2.(1?)X releases, but it's worth a try if nothing else works.  I would
log into Gnome, then back into e whenever this happened.

Not sure if this is the problem, but it may start you on the right track.

Just to confirm that you were right. After poking around in the
NetworkManager list archives I took a look at system-config-network
(this is Fedora remember) and found that my wired interface was not
being managed by NM, even though it was working. I ticked the box and
rebooted for safety, and Evo now starts up online.

The ultimate cause of this is probably that I went from F7 to F8 via an
upgrade rather than a fresh install, but I'm speculating.

The moral of the story is that there are a lot of components in a
desktop and they don't all understand each other, let alone interact in
ways obvious to a user. If my network config was set to *not* use NM,
why was NM even running? More to the point, why didn't it complain when
I clicked it? And of course, who on Earth is going to think of this as
the underlying reason for Evo starting offline?

Anyway, enough (till next time ...)

poc