Re: [Evolution] [IMAP] Filtering and Expunging

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 19:38 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 21:45 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 14:36 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 16:38 +0100, michael wrote:
(although evolution-data-server-1.6 was there for the initial second
after close down).

Just for kicks I quit Evo and waited a while. evolution-data-server was
still there half an hour later and stayed there when I fired up Evo
again. Same PID the whole time.

Yes, evo-data-server hangs around, but on my system it doesn't filter if
evo itself isn't active.  I can also see on the server that the IMAP
connection is closed down when I quit evo. This is Fedora 7 & Gnome.  I
wonder if it's anything to do with the backend IMAP server (I'm using
dovecot).

My IMAP server is Cyrus. I'd be surprised if that matters though.

My conclusion that filters are still active is based on observing that
when I leave e-d-s running on (say) my office machine, by the time I get
home I find a bunch of messages in my Inbox and *also* filed into their
various folders (i.e. physically distinct copies -- I made sure of this
by looking at the message files on the Cyrus server). At first I thought
this was a problem with my filter rules, but after checking my filter
log I'm convinced that it isn't.

I conjecture that the reason the messages are still in my Inbox is that
the e-d-s session on the office machine has refiled them and marked them
for deletion, but because there is no active GUI on that machine the
local state has not been synched with the server, so when I fire up a
new Evo session at home I see them as still present.

This behaviour went away when I started killing e-d-s before changing
machines.

If anyone has a better explanation I'd be glad to hear it.

No explanation I'm afraid, but I've just checked the open files on the
evo processes.  e-d-s does not have any IMAP connections active, it only
has ldap/ical external connections. All the IMAP processes belong to
evolution itself and they all get shutdown once the evo gui has quit.

P.