Re: [Evolution] Mail filtering (again )

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 08:16 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 08:00 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 13:37 +0200, Erik Slagter wrote:
On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 10:18 +0200, Arne Caspari wrote:
[snip]
I agree, and this has been mentioned several times in the past. The big
problem as I see it is that there is no *standard* way of telling a mail
server what is junk and what isn't. Remember that many mail hubs don't
allow the user to log in. For any given setup there's certainly a way to
hack the funcionality and the Junk/Not Junk buttons give you some
leverage, but basically it's up to you to program them.

Run your own mail server.  Lots of people do it, and it's not as
hard as you think.  It also lets you pull mail from your ISP on
a regular basis, whether you are logged in or not.

I never said it was hard. The reason I don't do it is that I read mail
from multiple places, which is why I use IMAP in the first place, and
why it would be interesting to do spam filtering centrally. If I want
access to all my mail from anywhere I then have to allow IMAP
connections from outside into any of my own machines, some of which are
on ADSL, and I have no interest in doing that. And running SpamAssassin
from a local mail server is no different from running it directly under
Evo.

I run a large mail hub for a University (under Cyrus), so I'm interested
in a central spam control mechanism which will a) allow some sharing of
spam heuristics between users, and b) work with the most popular clients
(TBird, Outlook, local Webmail, and a few nuts like me who use Evo).
That's why I want to see standards in this area. Running my own personal
mail server doesn't solve any of these issues. Other people's
requirements may be very different, but standardization in this area
would help us all. It's just not something I expect the Evo developers
to do.

poc