Re: [Evolution] Compile

Am Freitag, den 27.01.2006, 05:46 +0100 schrieb guenther:
  http://gnome.org/projects/evolution/download.shtml

yup, okay, got it from there but while trying to install this I get:
[shell]
Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
Package 'gtk+-2.0', required by 'Gail', not found
configure: error: Package requirements (gail >= 1.1.0) were not met.

Alternatively you may set the GAIL_CFLAGS and GAIL_LIBS environment
variables
to avoid the need to call pkg-config.  See the pkg-config man page for
more details.
reg linux:~>
[/shell]

but I installed gail 1.2.8-4 with Yast2 so I guess the path thing is
not correct but how do I verify that and how do I correct it?
Thank you!

Harish told you already for atk what to do, but it seems you didn't get
the point you where supposed to understand. So here goes the same
solution again, along with an explanation.

You need the *devel* packages for GTK+ and gail. Devel packages are
usually suffixed with -devel (RPM based distros) or -dev (Debian).

Devel packages are necessary, when *building* applications that depend
on it. They provide those things (like header files) that are needed
during build time only. Whereas the regular (non-devel) packages provide
the functionality to *use* the libraries and apps. This distinction is
made to not waste space. Users of modern distros don't tend to build a
lot of apps themselves.

Yes, thank you for reporting again but I got that, I installed following
packages:
gail 1.8.2-4
gail-debuginfo 1.8.2-4
gail-devel 1.8.2-4
libgail-gnome 1.1.0-4
libgail-gnome-debuginfo 1.1.0-4
libgail-gnome-devel 1.1.0-4

As a rule of thumb, if anything breaks complaining about a particular
dependency not being met, please try searching for the relevant devel
package.

mhm

Another note: By using 'locate' to hunt for the mentioned .pc file you
would have noticed that file most likely to be not installed. A
courageous 'find' would have shown this for sure. So unless you find
that file, it definitely is not the path.

cannot find that file(gtk+-2.0.pc), not with locate, not with find and
not either with the KDE search engine...