Re: [Evolution] Evolution Keyboard Navigation Specification

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 14:12 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 11:56 +0800, Nancy Cai wrote:
hi.

    I have finished the evolution keyboard navigation specification.

You can visit the page at:
http://go-evolution.org/Evolution_Keyboard_Navigation_Specification for
details.

Haven't been through it in detail, but a couple of things jump out
immediately:

- The HIG recommends against using Ctrl+Shift+[0-9] and Ctrl+Shift+[A-F]
for shortcuts that are active at the same time as an entry field (e.g.
the composer window), as these shortcuts are used to enter Unicode
characters.  Currently Evolution uses a few of these (I've just been
caught out by Ctrl+Shift+A myself...)
Calum, we recently fixed this in the composer, so that unicode
characters can be entered.

- Ctrl+Shift+W just feels counter-intuitive for creating a new window;
I'd normally expect Ctrl+W to be associated with closing a window, and
by extension, Ctrl+Shift+W to close all windows.

Frankly, I'd suggest that a lot of the things in the list aren't really
frequently-used enough to need keyboard shortcuts at all, which would
make it easier to be more HIG-compliant, but obviously I'm not in
possession of the user data that you guys hopefully are.

Calum, we removed shortcut keys for lot of item and which aren't really
used frequently and removed Control+Alt combinations completely from
evolution. But in the main window, to get away from Control+Shift [a-f]
is bit difficult and it is continuing.

-Srini
Cheeri,
Calum.