Re: [Evolution] Help me switch to evolution

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 10:21 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 11:39 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:49 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:18 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 11:09 -0600, Ben Davis wrote:
> > > Evo is also doing a lot of local indexing, but I agree it seems
> > > noticeably slower than TBird for IMAP access. It's also a *lot* more
> > > brittle (quite frequently hangs while fetching mail for no obvious
> > > reason) though recent versions are improving.
>
> Where are the bug reports of hangs?  I'm not aware of any deadlocks in
> the code currently shipping, as exposed by bug reports (that doesn't
> mean i haven't missed the reports).

Not quite sure how to file bug reports on this. It's more than a
perceived feeling of slowness and yet there's not much debuggin that can
be done to determine where it's slowing.

Oh ok.  Not a hang then.  A hang is an un-recoverable failure.

The thing is like this, everytime evo needs to refresh messages, (mbox
format) it needs to re-parse/re-indexes the folders. (This is esp. true
for /var/spool/mail/$whoami folders.) I get hang up every so often when
new messages are in the mail folder.

That cannot be avoided if you chose this slow method of accessing your email.

You should be using 'local delivery' option and copying mail into evolution itself.

This hangs up the whole evo, depending on how long it takes to re-index
it. (PS : Of late, I've even opted to _NOT_ index message body data. No
Dice.

> > unfortunately, the problem is that our query to fetch summary info (info
> > used to populate the message-list) is a lot less efficient because it
> > queries for oodles more data than mozilla's (why? because users demand
> > more functionality - like mailing-list filtering/vfoldering, attachment
> > icons, etc which mean we have to query for the entire message header
> > than than just a few bits and pieces of it)
> >
> > so sadly, this is unlikely to improve much.
>
> I think there is something else going on though.  It should only ever
> get the headers ONCE.

Tell me how to get bug reports in then.