Re: [Evolution] Help me switch to evolution

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:49 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:18 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 11:09 -0600, Ben Davis wrote:
> > I'm currently using Thunderbird/Sunbird as my PIM managers, and I'm
> > wanting to switch to Evolution because of its tight integration with the
> > desktop.  However,  there are several things that are keeping me from
> > switching at this point, and I was hoping someone might be able to
> > provide some workarounds, solutions, or perhaps just suggest to me a
> > different way of doing things.
> >
> > 1.  IMAP seems VERY slow compared to Tbird.  Sometimes when I switch
> > from one account to another, I have to wait while it re-loads my entire
> > inbox...   Are there any options I can change to help speed things up?
>
> Evo is also doing a lot of local indexing, but I agree it seems
> noticeably slower than TBird for IMAP access. It's also a *lot* more
> brittle (quite frequently hangs while fetching mail for no obvious
> reason) though recent versions are improving.

Where are the bug reports of hangs?  I'm not aware of any deadlocks in the code currently shipping, as exposed by bug reports (that doesn't mean i haven't missed the reports).

unfortunately, the problem is that our query to fetch summary info (info
used to populate the message-list) is a lot less efficient because it
queries for oodles more data than mozilla's (why? because users demand
more functionality - like mailing-list filtering/vfoldering, attachment
icons, etc which mean we have to query for the entire message header
than than just a few bits and pieces of it)

so sadly, this is unlikely to improve much.

I think there is something else going on though.  It should only ever get the headers ONCE.

It only has to re-scan the message flags which is fast-ish, when you change folders.  But i've seen it try to re-scan the full headers on someones machine far more often.

> > 2.  In Thunderbird, I have an IMAP folder for "Junk, Sent, Trash, and
> > Drafts," and these special folders are configured respectively. I don't
> > really like how "Junk" and "Trash" in Evo are simply VFolders that show
> > me emails "marked" as deleted or junk.  If I use squirrelmail to check
> > my email from somewhere else,  I then don't have a "Trash" folder to
> > keep deleted emails, and likewise for "Junk".
>
> True. IMAP is better at "mark-and-expunge" deletion that "move to a
> Trash folder" model, but it would be nice to have a choice (with TBird
> you can do it either way, but you can't hide the marked messages).

this is in bugzilla as a feature request item (don't recall the request
# off the top of my head)