Re: [Evolution] Help me switch to evolution

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 11:09 -0600, Ben Davis wrote:
I'm currently using Thunderbird/Sunbird as my PIM managers, and I'm
wanting to switch to Evolution because of its tight integration with the
desktop.  However,  there are several things that are keeping me from
switching at this point, and I was hoping someone might be able to
provide some workarounds, solutions, or perhaps just suggest to me a
different way of doing things.

1.  IMAP seems VERY slow compared to Tbird.  Sometimes when I switch
from one account to another, I have to wait while it re-loads my entire
inbox...   Are there any options I can change to help speed things up?

Evo is also doing a lot of local indexing, but I agree it seems
noticeably slower than TBird for IMAP access. It's also a *lot* more
brittle (quite frequently hangs while fetching mail for no obvious
reason) though recent versions are improving.

2.  In Thunderbird, I have an IMAP folder for "Junk, Sent, Trash, and
Drafts," and these special folders are configured respectively. I don't
really like how "Junk" and "Trash" in Evo are simply VFolders that show
me emails "marked" as deleted or junk.  If I use squirrelmail to check
my email from somewhere else,  I then don't have a "Trash" folder to
keep deleted emails, and likewise for "Junk".

True. IMAP is better at "mark-and-expunge" deletion that "move to a
Trash folder" model, but it would be nice to have a choice (with TBird
you can do it either way, but you can't hide the marked messages).

 I also like in Tbird
how these special folders (including "Sent" and "Drafts") are displayed
at the top of my folder list,  and have special icons for this.

Agreed. I've complained about this ages ago to no effect. It's ironic
that Evo treats Trash, Junk, Sent and Drafts as special but insists on
keeping them in lexical order in the folder tree, making them hard to
find quickly when you have lots of folders. Note that this depends to
some extent on how your IMAP server works. If it uses the "everything is
a subfolder of Inbox" model, then presumably these special folders stand
out more. On the other hand, if it's the "Inbox is just another folder
hanging from a nameless root" style then it's a different matter.

*However*, even in this latter case Inbox is set apart at the top, which
is fine, so why aren't the others treated the same way? The answer must
remain a mystery ...

3.  I've set my "Sent" folder to my imap folder in the defaults tab in
acccount settings, but Sent email still only gets copied to the local
"Sent" folder.  Is this a bug?

Works for me.

  Also,  the folder I've set to "Drafts"
isn't behaving like a Drafts folder.  When I double click a message in
that folder it should open in a composer.

Works for me.

4.  Email is displayed before it gets filtered.  With Tbird, the email
will get sorted into its respective folder before I even see it.  This
is important for imap, when some operations are slow and in evo's case
I'm left sorting through junk mail anyways, regardless of filters...

We had a thread about that recently. I agree with you.

poc