Re: [OT] Re: [Evolution] strategies for handling lots of mail

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 13:48 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 12:38 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 00:12 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

Why don't you use Maildir instead of mbox for local storage?  It scales
to way more messages, provided you have a decent file system...

maildir would be nice but it (may) causes some issues when I want to
archive the messages into CD (with mbox I can just save the whole file
and re-use it from the CD, I think).

Either should be ok for that really.

I think maildir may be an issue for that since  burning like 70k of
messages from Fedora Mail list would be overkill for 1 directory
structure. (No I don't organise it by date, only by mail list)

I use XFS as my home-dir so it's supposed to be better for large files
rather than reiserfs (been bitten so.. I"m not going there)

Yeah i'm not a fan of reiser's stability.

Unless you expunge every 5 minutes, or need to have other clients
writing to the mailboxes, mbox scales just fine anyway.

I expunge every so often. Meaning when I go to sleep at night and
decides to clean up.

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!