Re: [Evolution] Transfering inbox and Addressbook data to a new Computer

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 00:45 -0500, Erich Trowbridge wrote:
When I've pondered this issue aloud before, the best answer that was
given to me was to run an IMAP server (like dovecot) on my PC so that my
mail would be client-agnostic

I have played with courier-imap enough to know that I am absolutely NOT
smart enough to run a local imap server on my PC. Here is what I
basically need....

IMNSHO (or is that IMTBO[0]?), any "high newbie" can get courier-imap
running.

This web page will tell you exactly how to do it.  The possible
stumbling block that I use Debian & it's written for RH 9.0 wasn't
even an issue.

http://www.firstpr.com.au/web-mail/RH90-Postfix-Courier-Maildrop-IMAP/

It was also *trivial* to integrate it with fetchmail and cron.

So, every 5 minutes, cron fires off a script that runs fetchmail,
which pulls the email from the POP server, feeds it to postfix,
which then passes it thru SpamAssassin and then to Mailfilter,
which drops it into the relevant folder, whether I'm logged in
or not, much less whether Evo is running.

(This is also useful, because if you go off for the weekend,
there's not a ton of mail waiting to be downloaded.)

Something that converts my evo 2.0.x addressbook.db to vcard, ldiff or
anything I can import into evo 2.2.3. How hard can that be?

/usr/lib/evolution/2.2/evolution-addressbook-export

That's where Debian puts it.  If you've installed the slocate
package, locate(1) is your friend.

help! I don't want to use thunderbird!

$ locate evolution | grep -v $HOME | most

This command is very useful for finding hidden nuggets like e-a-e.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Every kind of peaceful cooperation among men is primarily based
on mutual trust and only secondarily on institutions such as
courts of justice and police."
Albert Einstein