Re: [Evolution] Disable header changing in IMAP?

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:17 -0400, Michael C. Neel wrote:

what, you mean in the whole millionth of a second that it takes to add a
header to an already parsed message?

besides, if the message gets deleted *and* expunged, then evolution will
remove it from disk as well as remove it from the message-list shown to
the user. same as if the suer had deleted/expunged the message.

If that was happening, I wouldn't get dups when running evo then would
I? =p

sure you might, since presumably you are getting dups unrelated to
anything in Evolution itself unless the filters you created in Evolution
are duplicating the messages (which would mean you set them up wrongly,
not that they are broken).

  Since a copy has to be made, the message id will change.

no it won't.

A copy has to be made by SpamBayes, because it needs to place the
result of the spam check into the header as well as it's own ID
system.

well, this presumably takes place on the server, so is not an issue at
all with Evolution's IMAP cache.

Again, this does not happen with evo closed, only running.  No I'm not
using filters in Evo for my IMAP account (I have one inplace for a pop
account, but there is no spam filter on it).

well, evo isn't uploading the mesages with an X-Evolution-Source header.
I can assure you. If you don't believe me, take a look at the message
sources via another mailer. they won't have that header.

I know that you guys don't want to even consider this an issue, NIH
and all, but Evo is doing something here.  Another possible option is
evo is seeing the deleted message and undeleting it,

no.

 so when spambayes completes and runs a purge the message is not
purged.

If this theory is even close to being true, then your server-side
filtering solution is broken and has nothing to do with Evolution.

All in all I switched to evo because the connector was open sourced,
but there doesn't seem to be alot of help coming from the
novell/ximian side of things for people to install the connector - the
connector feels like an abandoned project rather than an open sourced
one.  I feel that atm, unless you are using suse of course, KDE offers
better exchange integration than evolution.

*sigh*. I'm not even gonna bother responding to this nonsense.

As an aside, can we not create fake headers when viewing message
source?  When someone wants to see the real email source, show them
that, not an altered version that doesn't really exist.  Bad enough
tracking an email down though a spammers tricks, now my client doesn
them too :/

they are used for filtering purposes as well as hints for deciding which
acount to default the composer to when replying, so no. well, unless you
can come up with a better idea :-)

yes.  internal database.  keep it internal.

it IS internal. do the headers exist on your server? no, hence they are
internal.

  if it doesn't exist in the message, then you are going though steps
to put it there on view.  why?  show email source should do just that,
not show email source + special evo internal database values
masquerading as email headers.

mailers are allowed to add headers to their internal repositories all
they want. In fact, I can't name a singler mailer that doesn't. Even
mutt and pine do.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast