Re: [Evolution] RE: msg crashes evolution

The only disturbing difference is the bogus ">" char before the "From"
in the first line.

WTF? Just noticed while double checking, cause I received a response by
Alex. He does not see the ">" char in his source mail...

Displaying the OP attachment inline does *not* show that spurious char
for me either.

However, displaying the OP as source *does* show that char, as well as
saving the attachment *does* show it.

Summoning mailer hackers made a sorcerous Jeff appear hovering above my
monitor, whisperingly repeating the words "From Escaping" and "RFC" over
and over again...

Sorry for being such a dork. Dunno why I didn't remember this. :-/

However, that does not explain, why that char is written to disk when
saving the attachment (bug?). And it clearly does not explain the
crashes Alex observes.

Curious.  What I sent as output from head was from the file that I
attached in Evolution.  Here it is again:
[amoore sws602 amoore]$ head -1 crash-evo.msg
From bharrington atlantech net Wed Mar 31 10:00:02 2004
[amoore sws602 amoore]$

As you can see (well, at least I see it while composing) is the
additional > in the above line as well. The post I am replying to does
*not* displayed that char in the mail pane.

Thus there seems to be a bug regarding From Escaping. Displaying mail is
fine. Replying does not remove it, as well as saving to disk.

And yes, I have clamav scanning outgoing and incoming and at this
point, I am not removing the extra headers.  I would not think that
this would matter to Evolution.

Neither do I. This should not be an issue at all. But it explains the
extra header, thanks. :)

Actually the culprit must be local to your machine. I could display your
attached message without any glitch. As you started observing the
crashes today and updated some Gnome libs today as well, your assumption
probably is correct...

...guenther  (who finally stops self replying ;)