Re: [Evolution] Re: title encoding

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 18:31, Pete Biggs wrote:

I'm all in favour of pragmatism, but in my view the Evo developers are
doing the right thing - i.e. program evo to be standards compliant
*first*, then where possible tweak it to cope with the shortcomings of
other programs.  Evo should stand out as a beacon of excellence and
conformity that others aspire to, not something that will always play
second fiddle to an MS product.

Speaking as a web-developer I have to agree with this. Internet Explorer
in one version or another on various versions of Windows is
overwhelmingly the dominant browser. It's implementation of CSS
(cascading style sheets) is horribly broken, especially its
implementation of the box model which is central to the standard. When I
write cascading style sheets I write to the W3C standard first. Then I
add in "hacks", all sorts of workarounds which preserve the validity of
the stylesheet and ensure that pages display properly in conforming
browsers such as Mozilla, Konqueror, and Opera, but which also ensure
they work in IE. It's a complete PitA. But it would be completely the
wrong approach to say oh lets code this for Internet Explorer, and then
see what we can do to support Mozilla et al. It would also be *more*
difficult.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com          www.dzr-web.com