Re: Shortcut bar: was (Re: [Evolution] Evo 2.0 UI - Requests/comments)

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 12:36, Mike Kestner wrote:
The problem is the maintenance overhead.  Shortcut bar had to be ported
to the Gtk2 platform for the 1.4 release.  The initial port had drag and
drop inoperative, among other things.  At one point, shortcut bar led
the 1.4 bug count for gal.

I always hated the shortcut bar..  :)  Turned it off in outlook when I
used that, and I turned it off in Evo too ...  Seems
counter-intuitive..  If I have a folder, I probably want to store stuff
there..  I'd like to jump directly to it with a click, not search for it
or possibly forget it even exists..  :)

So while keeping it around seems like a "best of both worlds" scenario,
it is instead a time drainer that keeps us from dedicating development
effort toward supporting other features.  AFAICT, the shortcut bar
provides no functionality that couldn't be provided by other
planned/existing UI elements.  I think we just need to identify the use
cases and work to support them with the other UI elements.

*drool*  So what's the anticipated timeframe for 2.0?????  Beta?
Alpha??  *drool*

--
Jason H. Frisvold