Shortcut bar: was (Re: [Evolution] Evo 2.0 UI - Requests/comments)

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 10:51, Michael J. Rensing wrote:

3) When discussing the pros and cons of features such as the Shortcuts,
I can't help thinking that there are probably as many users who want a
feature as who feel that it is unnecessary. Can't such items continue to
be configurable options? For example, I can hide the Shortcut bar and/or
the Folder tree and not use them if I don't like them. However, if I
want them, I simply make them visible. Seems to me from the user point
of view that this is the best of both worlds.

The problem is the maintenance overhead.  Shortcut bar had to be ported
to the Gtk2 platform for the 1.4 release.  The initial port had drag and
drop inoperative, among other things.  At one point, shortcut bar led
the 1.4 bug count for gal.

So while keeping it around seems like a "best of both worlds" scenario,
it is instead a time drainer that keeps us from dedicating development
effort toward supporting other features.  AFAICT, the shortcut bar
provides no functionality that couldn't be provided by other
planned/existing UI elements.  I think we just need to identify the use
cases and work to support them with the other UI elements.

--
Mike Kestner <mkestner ximian com>