Re: [Evolution] Losing folder defaults

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 09:38, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 07:59, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
On Saturday 18 January 2003 01:25 am, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 20:52, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 17:26, Christine McLellan wrote:
Martin -

What do you mean by losing folder defaults? Do you mean which
folders are set as default mailbox, calendar, contacts, etc?  Or
something about each Exchange folder that you are viewing with
Evo such as the email columns, sort order, threading?  And are
these actual folders or vFolders?  Have you submitted a bug on
this at
http://bugzilla.ximian.com?

Christine,

I am not Martin, but I am experiencing the latter, mostly with my
"Threaded view" setting.  And no, I have not submitted a bug

this is mostly an FYI that may shine some light on some things.

the "Threaded view" setting is not global, it is per-folder.

opening a folder you've never opened before will use the global
setting (which is in the config.xmldb). I think it defaults to off.
There's actually no way to set this via the UI that I can recall, but
there used to be.

Jeffrey,

I have two copies of this,
~/evolution/config.xmldb &
~/evolution/private/config.xmldb

Which one should I be editing to change the global defaults?

the first one. the second one just holds your passwords.

also, make sure you are running bonobo-conf 0.16, as that is the only
version of bonobo-conf that will reliably save config settings when
the system has write errors.

What is the best way to test my version?

rpm -qa | grep bonobo-conf

I guess

as another aside, if you are out of disk space - settings may not
necessarily be saved, depending on whether or not bonobo-conf-0.16 is
able to save a tenporary copy (in the ~/evolution/ directory, not
/tmp).

Disk space not an issue.

ok...

not sure any of these FYI's light up any lightbulbs as to why you may
be having problems.

now... assuming that doesn't solve it for ya, then the only other
explanation is that evolution-mail is not shutting down cleanly and
is thus not ever getting to the point where it flushes the settings
to disk. if you control-c or killev, this is likely the problem.

That happens sometimes as there are times when the "Evolution is
closing..." box does not go away (for hours).  Other times, I may exit
the window manager without exiting Evolution first.  BUT, this seems to
happen even with a proper shutdown.

*shrug*

Jeff

Took a look at the config.xmldb file based on this thread above and
found that I had three entries in the file for several different
Exchange server. The first entry was for the current Exchange server
while the last two were for old Exchange servers (Win/Exchange 2000) no
longer on the network. I'm going to guess that Evolution was confused as
to the correct settings to use (one old server used the same computer
name); hence the lost default settings for the Inbox, etc. settings. I
took out the settings for the two old servers and restarted Evolution.
That appears to allow Evolution to work fine.

I am wondering why the old settings in the xmldb file were not removed?
If the account name is removed, why are the settings in this file also
removed, or at least the entire file rewritten? Even at the very least,
the original file renamed?
Marlin L. Borsick                  President
Coastalan, Inc.

phone: +1 (330) 948-1740
email: borsicml coastalan net
web: http://www.coastalan.net