Re: [Evolution] Losing folder defaults

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 09:38 am, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 07:59, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
On Saturday 18 January 2003 01:25 am, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 20:52, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 17:26, Christine McLellan wrote:
Martin -

What do you mean by losing folder defaults? Do you mean which
folders are set as default mailbox, calendar, contacts, etc?
Or something about each Exchange folder that you are viewing
with Evo such as the email columns, sort order, threading?
And are these actual folders or vFolders?  Have you submitted
a bug on this at
http://bugzilla.ximian.com?

Christine,

I am not Martin, but I am experiencing the latter, mostly with
my "Threaded view" setting.  And no, I have not submitted a bug

this is mostly an FYI that may shine some light on some things.

the "Threaded view" setting is not global, it is per-folder.

opening a folder you've never opened before will use the global
setting (which is in the config.xmldb). I think it defaults to
off. There's actually no way to set this via the UI that I can
recall, but there used to be.

Jeffrey,

I have two copies of this,
~/evolution/config.xmldb &
~/evolution/private/config.xmldb

Which one should I be editing to change the global defaults?

the first one. the second one just holds your passwords.

Found and edited.  Thanks.  I hope this solves the problem so that "who
cares what caused it."

also, make sure you are running bonobo-conf 0.16, as that is the
only version of bonobo-conf that will reliably save config
settings when the system has write errors.

What is the best way to test my version?

rpm -qa | grep bonobo-conf

I have
libbonobo-conf0-0.16-1.ximian.1
bonobo-conf-0.16-1.ximian.1
so I guess that's not the reason for my problem.

not sure any of these FYI's light up any lightbulbs as to why you
may be having problems.

now... assuming that doesn't solve it for ya, then the only other
explanation is that evolution-mail is not shutting down cleanly
and is thus not ever getting to the point where it flushes the
settings to disk. if you control-c or killev, this is likely the
problem.

That happens sometimes as there are times when the "Evolution is
closing..." box does not go away (for hours).  Other times, I may
exit the window manager without exiting Evolution first.  BUT, this
seems to happen even with a proper shutdown.

*shrug*

Well, hopefully, by my manually editing ~/evolution/config.xmldb, I
have solved the problem so that the cause of the problem is rendered
irrelevant.

Thanks again.  Art

Jeff

--