Re: OT: impersonate TE (was: Re: [Evolution] Evolution's GPG Behavior)

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 08:51, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 14:13, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
fre, 2003-01-03 kl. 13:12 skrev "Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder"
<avbidder fortytwo ch>

Who would want to impersonate me?????

Me? Just because it's so easy...

I used to be mailadmin for 3 different firms ;)

It was intended to be obvious :-)

Point is: it is easy enough to hide who the original author was. More
difficult to fake the message so it seems to come from the 'right'
mailservers, but some people are on the road frequently, with providers
changing often. Some people use accouts at big providers - I can get
one, too (Tony, I hope you understand that I don't think /you/ wouldn't
know this all).

What's really sad is that I started using PGP, then switched to GPG when
it had matured enough to replace PGP, because people were impersonating
me on newsgroup postings. I had to wonder who had such an incredibly
empty life they had to impersonate ME to get their kicks, but someone
was doing it. I ended up for a while basically operating under the "if
you get a message that claims to be from me and it's not PGP signed,
it's a forgery" principle. I haven't done much newsgroup stuff lately,
but the habit of using GPG hasn't changed.

Besides the habit part, it's also a political statement. The less any
government can control, the better, and since GPG means they can't
control a poster's privacy that's one more useful tool against the
State.
--
Bill Hartwell <raven macmanusnet net>
MacManus Enterprises