Re: Custom headers RFE WAS: Re: [Evolution] RFE: ability to add headers to "standard" display.

* Anthony E. Greene <agreene pobox com> [020423 01:34]:

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 10:00:32PM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
I have had no luck getting filters to understand arbitrary headers on an
IMAP account and understanding how the filters work is a problem (for
me) as well.

I don't have access to an IMAP account, but I got this working on POP3. I
was able to change the color of the message or assign a match score to the
message, based on the content of an arbitrary header.
I can't seem to do this on the IMAP account.  (I could make you an
IMAP account on my server if you want....)

The dialog posted at
<http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/linux/arbitrary-header-filter.png> shows
what the filter looks like. The filter changes the color of the text in
the incoming messages as dsiplayed in the message list. The result is
posted at
<http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/linux/arbitrary-header-filter-result.png>

I'm not sure why you had trouble getting this to work.
Because, based on my results, it doesn't work with IMAP accounts.

The filters and vFolders functionality is, err, confusing at best (and
I'm a former Outlook user).

I really think this argument that Show All Headers, and View Email
Source can replace this requested functionality is Specious.

However, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, and will shut up now.

I will also see if I can find yet another Email/Contact/Task/Calendar
product that meets my needs, and is willing to at least listen.

You can switch products if you like, but don't say that the Evolution
developers didn't listen. They did listen, but they didn't agree with you.
For that matter, neither do I.
So be it.

I think that the GUI for a custom headers option would not be worth the
work when you consider that we can already view all headers or filter the
message based on headers.
I can ****NOT**** filter mail in arbitrary IMAP mailboxes, nor the
IMAP INBOX based on arbitrary headers, at least in 1.0.3.

Now that I think about it, what difference does it make what the spam
header says? If you're going to discard the message unread based on the
spoam header, then all you need is a filter. If you're not going to
discard the message, then the spam header is irrelevant because you're
going to read the message anyway. The only time when you need to see the
spam header is when you're designing your filters. Viewing all headers is
a reasonable solution to that problem.
Because I work for an ISP, and need to check what the system wide
filters are doing, and they TAG mail, but I can't seem to get an IMAP
account to filter on an ARBITRARY filter.

And with some of the trash making it into my mailbox, I want to see
what tests and what score the SpamFilters added.

I guess I will just shut up now.

Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler lerctr org