Re: Custom headers RFE WAS: Re: [Evolution] RFE: ability to add headers to "standard" display.

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 18:16, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 20:44, Rob Walker wrote:
[snip]

it will severely increase the complexity of the display code, and it's
already nasty enough as it is without adding to it.

Oh, ok.  That's too bad.  I hoped that the display code had separate
areas for building the headers and then building the body, and then the
two were put together.

actually the code isn't as nasty as I thought it was... (just took a
look)

There has to be a line drawn somewhere where it makes sense to say "no"
and I believe this feature to be over the line.

Rats.  What would it take to change your mind?  ;-)

someone sending in a patch that was beautifully implemented containing 0
bugs and a sinch to maintain :-)

ie, no work will ever have to be done by me ever in the future.

Now....  we all know _that_ won't happen, don't we?

I think the better solution would be to do one of the following:

1. expand "Normal Display" by 1 or 2 (max) more (hard coded) headers
that would make sense to display.

or

2. We add another view "More Headers" that contained say 3 or 4
additional headers that were hard coded.

Now that I know you stand a good chance of maintaining the code, I can
see better why you are in favor of hard coding these things.

thanks,
rob

ps.  would fifty bucks change your mind?  :-)