RE: [Evolution] IMAP Trash folder?

scenario 1: manually run filters, all trash is removed whether you want
it to be or not.  There is no option not to expunge.  I have a bug
raised about this.

Scenario 2: you move around a lot and check your email via IMAP via a
number of mail readers.  They treat trash in a normal fashion (i.e.,
safeguard it by placing it in a separate mailbox) and unless you
remember to check and turn off expunge inbox on exit (normally safe coz
the mail is in a true trash folder), you have lost your trash, again
without knowing about it.  I regularly have this happen to me.

A further problem with IMAP is that when a lot of deleted messages are
in the inbox, it can take some time to download and parse the mail
info.  I suspect this is the real reason all other mail readers handle
trash in the way they do.

Evolution treats trash as expendable, and may as well delete it outright
for all the use its version of a trash folder implemented in this
fashion is to me.  I have a procmail recipe that duplicates incoming
mail to the account which I occasionally have to access after evo does
its thing.  Unfortunately a design decision has been made which has
proven wrong in real use by a number of people (otherwise, why does it
keep coming up!), but its probably too late to change.

BillK