Re: [Evolution] slowness

On 24 Jul 2001 03:10:13 -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
On 24 Jul 2001 19:02:40 +0930, Not Zed wrote:

If you create/delete a file inside the larger folders 'cur' directory
(i.e. where all the files are stored), is that very slow?

I suppose "create" is that what happend when messages are sorted by the
filter rules and dropped into the folders.
Yes, that obnoxiously slow.

No i meant at the filesystem level, like using touch or cat or rm or
something.

I don't usually delete messages, but it's not very slow.

Do you have hide deleted on or off?

IT IS slow when i click on a folder, no matter if it's first time or the
millionth time.

IT IS slow when changing a message from unread to read.

Hmm, ok the latter suggests this is *mostly* an e-table scalability
problem.  Will need to do some profiling.

This is why I ask does it change if you have opened/viewed the folder
already inside evolution where the mails are filtered to.  If you have
opened it, then any updates go through some etable processing, if you
haven't then they dont go through any (there was method to things i
asked!).

But, on the other hand, there are a few cases where maildir re-does a
dir scan, which can slow things down appreciably with large folders (by
large i mean >5K messages).

10K messages is going to be slower than 1K, but it shouldn't be that
slow.  I presume you have a pentium 500 class machine with enough memory
too.

dual PIII/800 with 512 MB RAM and SCSI storage. It's an SGI 1200 server,
i'm using it as a workstation :-)

Yay, ok thanks for the info.