Re: [Evolution] Things I'd like to see (and implement)

Andrew Cowie wrote:

On 1 Feb 2001, Ross Burton wrote:

On 31 Jan 2001 19:42:03 -0800, Mike Strock wrote:

o When a message is deleted, expunge the folder
o When a message is moved from one folder to another, expunge the folder it
was moved from (instead of marking the message as deleted)

No!  There is an option under View - "Hide Deleted Messages" for this.
Expunging a 1000 message folder across a slow IMAP connection every time
a message is deleted will kill the responsiveness - expunge when you have
finished dealing with the folder.

I hear you about not expunging - that's actually pretty wise. However,
I'd like to offer a suggestion about "Hide Deleted Messages"

It's not a toggle - and so when I go delete a few messages, I then
have to go to the menu and click on it as an action. Frankly, (even
knowing they're not being expunged) I don't want to deal with that
message anymore (once deleted) and so if "Hide Deleted Messages" was a
[configuration or otherwise] toggle one could just click it on and
leave it that way. (Perhaps expunging once in a while when I felt the
need)

How about an option like the following:

+--Expunge Behavior----------------+
|                                  |
| o Automatically Expunge on Exit. |
| o Ask on Exit.                   |
| o Manual Expunging.              |
+----------------------------------+

So if you choose "Automatically Expunge on Exit", Evo will expunge all
folders containing deleted messages on exit. If you choose "Ask on
Exit", then Evo will tell you which of your folders contain deleted
messages and ask you if you want to expunge them now (either one dialog
per folder or a big dialog listing all folders containing deleted
messages with checkboxes next to them so you can pick which to expunge.
(There would be an "expunge all" checkbox, of course)). If you choose
Manual Expunging, Evo will act like it does now.

Is expunging on exit a good idea? The only other thing I could think of
would be to expunge a folder as soon as you select a different one.

/eric