Re: [Evolution] Re: mbox vs. Maildir

On 20 Aug 2001 21:23:03 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
So sprach »Ricardo Amadeo Contreras« am 2001-08-20 um 12:57:25 -0500 :

Well, one thing is for sure - deleting messages is *ALWAYS* a lot faster
in Maildir.  After all, deleting a message in a Maildir (MH) mailspool
means that only one (or more) files have to be deleted.  In mbox, the
mbox file needs to be completely rewritten.  But your wish is my command
:)

wow. nice of you to have redone the test.

I'll delete 500 messages and measure the time it takes.  To do so, I'll
sort the mbox by the authors name and then delete the first 500 (~10%).
This should make the messages fairly scuttered around the whole file.
The times are only for mbox.  Measuring Maildir wouldn't make sense - it
would of course be way faster.  Oh well - in mutt it took <1 second to
delete the same 500 messages.

mutt:                 4 seconds
elm:                  5 seconds
pine:                 21 seconds (29 seconds for the full rewrite)
evolution 0.12 mbox:  43 seconds
evolution maildir:    6 seconds

I noticed, that the overly long times of Evolution with mbox files are
because of the 2nd step "Ordner wird synchronisiert" ("Synchronizing
folder" ?).  This alone takes about 30 seconds each time.  I wonder why
this step takes so extremely long!?  When the folder is first opened,
this step doesn't take quite as long.

Could this be that Evolution has to resync/reindex folders and then also
do the same for Virtual folders?  It could be helpful to optimize some
code in this area.

Ricardo