Re: [Evolution-hackers] Addressbook UI thoughts

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 14:23, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > But the scaling bit is probably better than anything you have anyways.
> But of course scaling is trivial with a flat view ...

Yes, but this does grouping, as I mentioned before.
That is still really just a flat view.  Or at least, an ordered list of flat views. :)

Had a quick look - how hard do you think it would be to make the algorithm handle incremental updates (i.e. new messages showing and deleted messages vanishing)?  That is probably the only thing we'd need in the mailer.

I still think users will want more than just grouping though.  I for one wouldn't find it useful, the way i use mail.  But the vertical paned view is a winner.

> > I think we want to have a new widget for that display mode, for Evo 2.0
> > you cant really use Mono if you wanted to, but you should definitely
> > write a simple widget, along the lines of what I did.
> So we'll need two different widgets for the different views?

Thats my suggestion, yes.
I'll try to look into it for the mailer when I get time, but its a bit short at the moment, leave and all :(

> Given that the components are simpler now, it would be nice to even
> have a mono based one, even if its just a prototype.  Whats the status
> of the gc/pthreads issue?

Solved.

The issue is very simple: do not put pointers to MonoObject* in the
stack to avoid doing the #include <pthread.h>, if you need to keep a
pointer to a MonoObject, do it on the heap or a structure.

ahh neat.  last time i asked anybody (in nyc) nobody had any idea, and i couldn't find you at the time.

Michael