Re: [Evolution-hackers] The component buttons mockup

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 12:45, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 11:22, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> > I think I'd prefer 2x2 myself, with all buttons the same size. If we
> > want to be fancy, we could also make text labels be optional (like the
> > choice you get for typical browser toolbars), and then we could probably
> > fit all of them on one row :)
> >
> > I probably value desktop space more highly than other users, though.
>
> I'm a screen-estate junkie myself, and think that following the gconf
> key for toolbar state is probably a good idea -- i.e. label only, icon
> only, both.
>
> Personally my folder tree is quite wide (several nested IMAP folders) so
> 2x2 would be a better choice for me, or as Hans says just use icons and
> might all fit.

I was thinking of the same myself - even though it is not a toolbar,
what if it followed the toolbar labels/icons/whatever settings of the
user?

On the other hand, if we have an uneven number of buttons we dont want a
grid layout, since then you'd get an empty space. So if that is the
case, we need to figure something.

Anyway, an example at this point:

http://primates.ximian.com/~tigert/evo/evo-buttons-mockup3.gif

The screen-estate junkies will love the "icons only" -mode. The only
problem is the text-below-icons since it is in a grid. Putting it into a
column wastes a huge amount of vertical space, and putting it
horizontally wont fit (at least with Finnish labels (Sähköposti /
Osoitekirja / Kalenteri / Ö-Mappi) :) - so I dunno. I am kind of pleased
with the simplicity of the single-row and single-column versions. And
there is no need to worry about the number of icons either..

What if the button-pane was resizeable, and if one resizes the vertical
text-besides-icons list to a small one, it would at one point switch to
a horizontal line of plain icons without labels? Like the animation
example but without the 2x2 grid frame.

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen :: Art Director, Ximian :: <tigert ximian com>