Re: huge weblog post with my suggestions for improvement in Epiphany

Michael Gratton wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 23:26 +0100, Mattias Bengtsson wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 16:36 -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:
>>> My only criticism of the way tabs are handled is that Epiphany does
>>> not have a mode, as Firefox does, that forces new windows into tabs in
>>> the existing window.  That's actually about the *only* thing that I
>>> miss in Epiphany as compared to Firefox.
>> I think this is only a workaround for the real problem. The web
>> developer shouldn't be the one to decide which pages go into new tabs,
>> windows or load in the same window. This should be the users choice.
>> Anything else is unintuitive.
>
> I think Steve was saying that FF gives the user the choice to have all
> new windows show up as new tabs, rather than letting websites say "open
> this link in a tab".
>
> One way of doing this without needing an extra preference would be to
> overload the existing always_show_tabs_bar pref. If the user wants the
> tab bar always visible, it might be fair to assume the user also wants
> all new windows opened as tabs, including popups from web sites and
> external links (e.g. clicking a link in a message in your email client).
> If not, then assume the user wants new windows instead.
>
> This holds true for my sample of N=1, i.e. me. :)

It holds true for me too :-)  One thing I keep bumping into though is
the lack of a turn-tab-into-window feature.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
the other bad monads?
     -- Daveman