Re: huge weblog post with my suggestions for improvement in Epiphany

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 23:26 +0100, Mattias Bengtsson wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 16:36 -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:
> > My only criticism of the way tabs are handled is that Epiphany does
> > not have a mode, as Firefox does, that forces new windows into tabs in
> > the existing window.  That's actually about the *only* thing that I
> > miss in Epiphany as compared to Firefox.
>
> I think this is only a workaround for the real problem. The web
> developer shouldn't be the one to decide which pages go into new tabs,
> windows or load in the same window. This should be the users choice.
> Anything else is unintuitive.

I think Steve was saying that FF gives the user the choice to have all
new windows show up as new tabs, rather than letting websites say "open
this link in a tab".

One way of doing this without needing an extra preference would be to
overload the existing always_show_tabs_bar pref. If the user wants the
tab bar always visible, it might be fair to assume the user also wants
all new windows opened as tabs, including popups from web sites and
external links (e.g. clicking a link in a message in your email client).
If not, then assume the user wants new windows instead.

This holds true for my sample of N=1, i.e. me. :)

It would make the name of the pref a bit misleading, however. Renaming
it to "use_tabs" or something might help justify the overloading.

/Mike

--
✌ Michael Gratton. Geeknik since 1976.
✇ <http://web.vee.net/>