Re: [Epiphany] Re: "Web Browser"

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 18:17, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > The hig doesn't suggest foo.
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/desktop-integration.html#men
> > u-item-names
> >
> > It says to include a functional description. It also says to remove
> > non-essential information from menu names. "Epiphany" is non-essential
> > information imo. [1] I want to open my "Web Browser." Any sane distro will
> > label the default browser "Web Browser" (like redhat does for mozilla
> > currently). If distros want to include multiple browsers, than imo they
> > should be responsible for changing the label not us.
> >
> > dave
> >
> > [1] The current names used by the above mentioned apps were changed during
> > the writing of teh 1.0 HIG so they are definately in the spirit of the HIG.
>
> Dave, I agree in principle but I think in practice this is going to be a
> problem.
> There is more than one browser for linux and certainly all distros are
> going to ship more than one of them. The easier solution is probably to
> have the project name in the .desktop and let distributors rename the
> one they ship by default.

Speaking from a project perspective, I'd like to see the gnome web
browser (whatever that turns out to be) be 'web browser' and let the
distributions rename it to something else if they choose to ship another
web browser, not the other way around. Our stuff should ship with good
defaults- if the distros choose to break it, that's their problem.

[That said, wanting to have some personality by calling the app
something 'special' is one of those things that I have no problem with.
We are in this for fun, and getting to say 'I work on $MY_PROJECT'
instead of 'I work on $GENERIC_NAME' is one of those small ways we have
fun.]

Luis