Re: Some branding guidelines and historical info lost in migration

Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
> I honestly can't think of any cases where it would be desirable to use
> Bitstream Vera Sans with the GNOME logo. It won't look particularly
> consistent or good. The GNOME project itself doesn't use Bitstream Vera Sans
> - Cantarell is our font - so I don't know why we'd suggest that others
> should.

Fair enough. Maybe we should add a recommendation to use Cantarell?

It really depends on who the guidelines are for. Right now they are linked to from the main public facing web page on our trademarks [1], and are part of our guidelines for third parties. As such, they cover pretty much any case where someone might want to use our logos, like a distro wanting to put a GNOME foot on a web page. In many of these cases, there won't be any need to tie the logo in with GNOME's branding. It wouldn't make sense for a distro to use Cantarell, for example.

What we really need, and what I've wanted for a long time, is a proper set of branding guidelines for those who are representing the GNOME brand. These would cover cases like designing banners or flyers for GNOME events, and could include sections on colour, graphics, typography, language and tone and so on. There is actually some draft material for this on the wiki [2].

Simply put: I think we need two sets of guidelines, a simple one for third party usage, and more elaborate guidelines for community usage. What we have currently is the first, and we are missing the second.

Allan

[1] https://www.gnome.org/foundation/legal-and-trademarks/
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/DraftBrandGuidelines