Re: Some branding guidelines and historical info lost in migration

Jeff F. T. <nekohayo gmail com> wrote:
There were some interesting contents in https://wiki.gnome.org/action/recall/BrandGuidelines?action=""> that were lost in the migration to https://www.gnome.org/logo-and-trademarks/ - namely, the detailed spacing guidelines

There are spacing guidelines on the logo and trademarks page. It says "", and then points to http://www.gnome.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/logo-spacings.png

Is there something missing from that?

and the origins of the logotype. For instance, this paragraph:

The font used in the GNOME logo type is a hand-tweaked version of Bitstream Vera Sans, an openly-licensed font. There is no full version of this tweaked font available - only the vector outlines of the GNOME letters. It was tweaked to have similar features to the older logotype - most notably how far the middle point of the 'M' extends and at a point rather than flat.

Shouldn't we add this information back somewhere? Maybe as an explanatory sub-item of "Don’t modify the word “GNOME” or compound it with other words." - you don't want folks to use the GNOME foot with "GNOME" written in Comic Sans Neue ;)

I'm not sure I understand why the information on the origin of the logo type is useful to someone using our logos. People shouldn't be modifying the "GNOME" below the logo, and there's no requirement to use Bitstream Vera Sans with the logo or wordmark.