Re: [Ekiga-list] [GUADEC 2013 Proposal]

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 18:07 (+0200), Genghis Khan wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2013 11:03:00 -0300
Jim Diamond <Jim Diamond acadiau ca> wrote:

<snip>

There's nothing missing or wrong in Ekiga per se.

But if we want to think in Ekiga as a component of GNOME (3.x) we
shall admit that Ekiga doesn't follow the UI design and the
migration to GTK+ 3.x, GSettings, GStreamer, etc., is a bit lagged
behind.

<snip>

(I'm not bad-mouthing gnome 2 or gnome 3; I do prefer gnome 2 to kde.
However, as a non-gnome desktop environment user (Slackware dropped
gnome many years ago), the "gnome" aspects of (first gnomemeeting and
then) ekiga have caused me considerable amounts of grief over the
years. In particular, gconfd has caused lots of problems, and it is
unclear to me what the benefits are, in particular for people who
don't use gnome as their DE.)

Before I get to bash GNOME, please note that you can choose not to use
GNOME and gconfd support by using these flags:
 --disable-gnome \
 --disable-gconf \

So your argument is irrelevant (well, unless there is no GNOME-free
binary package available in some repository)
I wouldn't quite say "irrelevant".  I was using the ekiga slackbuild
available at http://slackbuilds.org/ and I see now that it uses
--disable-gnome but for whatever reason uses --enable-gconf.  I assume
the guy who maintains the slackbuild does that for a reason, but I
could certainly try recompiling with it  --disable-gconf.

I do appreciate the fact that ekiga provides these options.

even though I fully agree with your point of view.

<snip>

As an(other?) example, I am having no luck when behind a NAT router.
I see no gui option to set up STUN. I search the web a bit and find
out I need to use gconf-editor. Too bad that it doesn't exist on
slackware, since (presumably) there is no gnome. Ho hum.
I also think that there should be an option in GUI to set up STUN.
There used to be.  (At least in gnommeeting, maybe since.)  I wonder
why it went away.

                                Jim