Re: [Ekiga-list] [GUADEC 2013 Proposal]

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 18:31 (+0200), Eugen Dedu wrote:

On 16/05/13 17:47, Jim Diamond wrote:
On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 16:31 (+0200), Eugen Dedu wrote:

On 16/05/13 16:03, Jim Diamond wrote:
As an(other?) example, I am having no luck when behind a NAT router.
I see no gui option to set up STUN.  I search the web a bit and find
out I need to use gconf-editor.  Too bad that it doesn't exist on

You can use gconftool to modify the stun server.  You can even modify
the file itself, in ~/.gconf directory.

Eugen,

thanks.  I have no problem editing files by hand, but...
you say "the file".  But there are currently 22 files under there.  It
is not completely obvious
- what file needs editing;
- what directory that file should be in; and
- what syntax is required.
(None of the files I currently have contain the string "stun", so I am
starting from square 1.  No doubt if I read enough docs or search the
web, I will find it (... yep, "apps/general/nat" is the file), but I
can't help but think that one or two "custom" config files would be
just as easy as using gconf, and thus removing a dependency from what
could be ("should be" in my humble opinion) desktop-neutral program.)

Damien is working to replace gconf by gsettings, I think this fixes
your concerns, is that right?

Well, maybe.  If I knew what the name of my schema was or whether I
should use schemadir, and what path I want, and the name of the key,
it would probably be easy to use.  But knowing all that probably means
I could just create the right file in the right place with my
favourite text editor.

I'm guessing that someone who uses gnome on a regular basis knows and
can do this stuff in their sleep.  However, getting back on the "why
does ekiga want to be a gnome-specific tool" bandwagon, there are
those of us who, for one reason or another, don't use gnome.  And
learning a bunch of gnome-specific stuff for one program is arguably
not time well spent.

Incidentally, if someone wants to update the page
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router
it says
         How can I easily use Ekiga behind a NAT/PAT gateway?

        Ekiga has extensive and improved NAT support thanks to
        STUN. In most cases, you do not have any configuration to do,
        and you can even be reachable from the outside without any
        port forwarding: just run the Configuration Assistant until
        the end.
which seems to be no longer true.

Cheers.
                                Jim