Re: how do I set a default line width

All the tools (line, zigzag etc.) have default properties that are set by double clicking on them.  Enjoy!

I meant double click on "them" - the tools, which together constitute the toolbox, not the drawn item.  When you want to draw a zigzag line you go to the zigzag line tool.

What pops up will be the properties that have a default nature.

Line width is not one of them.  Line width is set in the universal default selector below the shape sheets display - along with the choices for start and end arrow type, line type, and line and shape color and background. You have 5 preset line width selections.  Beyond that you have set the properties of the individual lines.

You can select multiple items, and then double click one and get properties for all of them in one properties dialog and all will be changed wholesale.  You can select by dragging a box around them, or by picking

If you apply, not close, the dialog you can then double click on another item or selection of items and the dialog will change so you can edit these properties.

Here is an exact procedure for example:

Pick the line tool, and draw a line.  Double click on it and change a property.  Click Apply.  Now draw some other things like a bezieregion and an image.  Select all three by dragging a box, and double click one of them while they all have their grips showing.  The properties dialog will change to reflect the properties of all the items selected.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM, <gottlieb nyu edu> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 11 2014, Hans Breuer wrote:

> Am 10.09.2014 um 16:52 schrieb gottlieb nyu edu:
>> On Wed, Sep 10 2014, gottlieb nyu edu wrote:
>>> I was able to set a default pointsize by double clicking the "T" button.
>>>
>>> When I tried this for the "line" button, I see that I can only change
>>> the absolute start/end gap.
>>>
> This is by design. Properties directly accessible from the toolbox are
> not duplicated to the default dialogs.
>
>>> I would like to change the line width (from .039 to .02 inches)
> The "default" line width can be changed by double-clicking the line
> width selection area. But the dialog is not unit aware, so you have to
> calculate your inches yourself.
>
>>> and (of lesser importance) size of the start/end arrows to 0.30.
>>>
> See arrow selection: Details (also w/o units)
>
> HTH,
>       Hans

Thank you hans and michael, but I don't see the behavior I think you are
saying.  Let's just discuss the line width; I would guess that if I can
understand that case, I can figure out the others.

1.  I think you are saying that to change the default line width, I need
to go to the properties dialog, which means I need to first create a
line.

So I created a line.

2.  I then double clicked the line and up came the expected box
"Properties: Standard-Line"

So far so good.

3.  The first item is

Line width  "0.039 in"

(the value is in an "editable text area"

4.  I am not sure but I think you want me to double click in that text
area where it now says "0.039 in"

But this doesn't change anything.  All it does is select the "word"
around the mouse.  In this case it selects 039.  I tried double clicking
other areas but was unable to find anything that would enable me to
change the default.  As I mentioned in a previous msg.  If I double
click the tool icon that does allow me to change the default line gaps,
but I have not found a way to change the line width.

thanks again for dia,
allan

Put this question to yourself: should I use everyone else to attain happiness, or should I help others gain happiness?
Dalai Lama

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."