Diagram defaults? (was: Re: Margins for A4 sheet)

At 11.06.2014 11:39, Chris Green wrote:
 [...]
But it's *not* "seamlessly scalable" because the individual components
(of *any* of the types of objects that come with it) don't scale as
well as the diagram as a whole.  They will scale plus/minus a factor
of two or so but beyond that they really don't work too well.
Yes, if you try to scale every single object too much away from their defaults you are already fighting a lost cause. Sooner or later you'll stumble over object which are not resizable, but stil seamlessly scaleabe (e.g. UML - Actor).

Thus you *do* need to start with an appropriate sized 'sheet' if you want
to print your diagram or use it as other than a single huge diagram.

I dont understand this statement. You can draw your complete diagram ignoring page breaks and afterwards decide how many pages it should take.

I really like dia but I think it would be a whole lot more 'likeable'
and generally applicable to casual users if it defaulted to something
more tangible.

So if it is just a matter of defaults which defaults do you propose?