Re: Margins for A4 sheet

Greetings, Chris Green!

I thinks that's right.  The inexperienced user (me, for example) tends
to dive in with a diagram that they want to draw before thinking about
details of how it will scale when they want to print it or put it into
a web page or whatever.

They complete a lovely diagram that looks good on the computer screen
and then find it's rather difficult to turn it into what they actually
want on paper (or web).

That's completely different subject.
The base format for Dia is SVG, which, by the very nature of it, is seamlessly
scalable with bounds being only the resolution of the presentation medium.

But it's *not* "seamlessly scalable" because the individual components
(of *any* of the types of objects that come with it) don't scale as
well as the diagram as a whole.

Not to argue, but to clean up any possible misunderstanding: The fact some
shapes are scaling better, than other only tell us about quality of certain
shapes, not about quality of the program or application design concept as a
whole.

They will scale plus/minus a factor
of two or so but beyond that they really don't work too well.  Thus
you *do* need to start with an appropriate sized 'sheet' if you want
to print your diagram or use it as other than a single huge diagram.

If you do want to print it, you SHOULD start designing your diagram from
setting up a page properties and enabling paging grid visibility.

I really like dia but I think it would be a whole lot more 'likeable'
and generally applicable to casual users if it defaulted to something
more tangible.

As a casual user, I don't need any printing abilities of Dia. I draw wormhole
maps and simple illustrations intended to be shown as web images.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon freemail ru) 11.06.2014, <17:51>

Sorry for my terrible english...