Re: Margins for A4 sheet

At 10.06.2014 12:35, Dumitru Ursu wrote:
On 06/10/2014 12:29 PM, Dumitru Ursu wrote:
Hello,

I'm having some problems seeing/setting the margins for a A4 page; I've
set up from preferences to color the A4 area with a light blue, but the
whole canvas is painted;
When I export to PDF I get a document of 4 pages, when I really need just
one.
Also, how do I scale the diagrams?

http://i.imgur.com/oRqmrI1.png

http://dia-installer.de/doc/en/quickstart-chapter.html#save-print-diagram

For anyone else having troubles with this, the solution is to go to File >
Page Setup, and fiddle around with the scale setting, until the red grid
encompases your drawing.
The red grid is the one who marks the page border.

Sorry that you apparently only grasped half of the related GUI. Instead of "fiddling around" you could have just selected "Fit to" and enter 1 in both fields.

Also, as a note for developers: can't the infinite canvas be made optional?
Actually I have given some thoughts on an optional, more page oriented view but it goes more along the line of multi page programs like Keynote, Powerpoint etc. And your problem at hand would not magically vanish with this, because still the user needs to decide how many objects should fit to one page.

Having one A4 sheet by default is the way people are acustomed to work.
If you are not willing to adapt do Dia's approach, it's probably best to switch to a program which fits better to you and your needs. Or read and understand Michael's response:
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2014-June/msg00028.html

Or maybe some watermarking at each grid intersection: <This is page 1,
600x800px>
I dont understand why page size should be reflected in pixels. Almost all of Dia's shapes are fully scaleable without any information loss.

BTW: I don't think that further discussion of usability poll or something is leading anywhere near to motivating someone to write the code ;)