Re: Margins for A4 sheet

Sorry for long quote : tht's tedious with a cellphone to wipe :)

So, your method is the right one: starting from templates where needed.

And fortunately it would be easy to code, with almost no impact on ui: ''new diagram'' ''pause'' ''from
template'' ''templates menu'' ;

 keeping ''new diagram'' short click as usual.

Ability to add templates would be great, keeping settings into (sheets, colors), would be a must... (long
future).

I have not even an hour to code that. But I'm tired of that regular flamewar subject on Dia list!

Any volunteer 0:=>

Regards,
TSFH

Michael Ross <michael e ross gmail com> a écrit :
I have a Dia called Start Dia File that has all the settings I like,
grid
size, scale some layers, margins, and so on.  It is completely
unreasonable
for me to expect Dia to have exactly what I want as a default, but this
simple solution does provide that:

When I start up, my Start Dia File is in the list of recently used
files,
and I pick it, then save as another name and move along.  Or in the
nearly
inevitable case where some of those those defaults don't fit what I am
doing at the moment, I change the settings.

Don't get me wrong, I have wished for a more conventional way to set
defaults on start up.  But this is what we get unless we learn to write
the
code.  I seem to recall there was some difficulty providing the change,
and
it required a lot more work than you might think.  More work than those
doing it were willing to undertake when a simple workflow change solves
the
problem.

This is a common occurrence - a new user has a bunch of suggestions
(that
are often repeats of previous ones from years past) that are not
informed
by experience with the program, how open source work gets done, and an
unwillingness to adapt to what is given.  I have had the same reaction
myself.  If someone points out a functional work around - it may be the
path of least resistance to use it.  We do not understand the inner
workings of SVG, the basis of Dia, and over which the Dia developers do
not
have any more control over than we do over Dia.

I have been using Dia for more than ten years now.  I have looked
around
and tried other programs, but I have returned to Dia a number of times,
because it is very utilitarian.  There is actually a community of users
that are promptly helpful (as opposed to a number of other open source
programs I use), and the program is very adaptable - by the user,
without
intervention of the development group.  In conjunction with Inkscape
and
GIMP