Re: Jog feature (Was: Zoom Patch)

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Michael Ross wrote:

Could be an American colloqialism. To jog is a verb (with no conjugation) applied to machinery in the industrial rather than digital past. You might jog a conveyor belt to get it in just the right position for servicing for instance. It is a good analog for what we are talking about, you poke at a button and you get an incremental action. In this case we would want up/down/left/right and the cursor keys are commonly used to implement this. I use this in the CAD program I useto move tables, text, and views on a drawing. Or in LabVIEW, a graphical programming system, to adjust the position of controls on the GUI and function icons on the block diagram. Jogging ignores any grid or object snapping.

We must have similar backgrounds then... I associated jog with industrial robotics, and the behaviour is what I've used in Simulink (which of course is similar to LabVIEW).

I think it also works in TGif, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's really nice to be able to use keys to move objects in small increments.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44            http://www.md.kth.se/~chr