From: "Michael Ross" <michael e ross gmail com>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 8:31 AM
To: "discussions about usage and development of dia" <dia-list gnome org>
Subject: [OT} English usage Re: Jog feature (Was: Zoom Patch)

Jog is incremental, like a single pixel move. Also it means something like
"to take small steps," hence its use as "to run slowly and lightly." In
mechanical practice a jog is not always very smooth or light, it is often an
impluse or step input with all the subsequent sharp accelerations and
deaccelerations.  Not a problem in the digital world where pixel changes
"accelerate" images quite nicely as far as the eye can tell.

Creep is a very slow velocity move under manual comtrol.  Creep has a lot of
technical and colloquial meanings as well.  Such as the the noun creep is
derogatory for a malicious or unsavory person - creep(ing) like and insect
or worm.  It also means to compress under a load with time and elevated
temperature.  All slow continuous motion.  I suppose pressing a cursor arrow
approximates a slow continous motion - the jogger becomes a creeper.