Re: Jog feature (Was: Zoom Patch)

The speeds "jog" and "creep" were terms embossed into the teach gun of the world's first line of industrial (hydaulic) robots by Unimation corporation of Danbury Conneticut back in the 1960's.

The Unimate 4005J, built in the 60s and remanfuactured by Prab Robots through the 90's is still in commercial use today. Not new ones, mind, but the originals, continually maintained with replacement parts.

I was an engineer for Prab back in the 90's and I know a guy who still makes a living supporting old Unimates even now. Those things are beasts, powerful enough to pick up most modern robots and toss them through a brick wall. But you do have to be kind of careful when you are anywhere near one. They don't even have CPU's. The brain is all hard-wired TTL and runs on a 512K clock. Memory is a 2Kx32 ferrite core array. And they STILL work. LOL

Gan

Michael Ross wrote:
Could be an American colloqialism. To jog is a verb (with no conjugation) applied to machinery in the industrial rather than digital past. You might jog a conveyor belt to get it in just the right position for servicing for instance. It is a good analog for what we are talking about, you poke at a button and you get an incremental action. In this case we would want up/down/left/right and the cursor keys are commonly used to implement this. I use this in the CAD program I useto move tables, text, and views on a drawing. Or in LabVIEW, a graphical programming system, to adjust the position of controls on the GUI and function icons on the block diagram. Jogging ignores any grid or object snapping.

2008/9/4 Christian Ridderstrïm <christian ridderstrom gmail com <mailto:christian ridderstrom gmail com>>