Re: Pan by holding down scroll button already works (Was: Zoom patch)

I am using the same Trackman trackball that was shown on the eBay page along with the Marble FX index finger track ball.  It has a ball for the thumb and a middle button that rolls and clicks.  Click and drag is to hols down the left button and move the thumb ball.

I have a marble FX and the drivers for it were never satisfactory to my mind.  There are some buttons that don't do anything.  One of them is purported to be a drag button.  You click on something with that button, hold it down and move the ball.  I have never seen it work.

The Trackman is flawless.

I case anyone is curious this is how a popular CAD program implements the buttons.

cursor anywhere, hold down middle button/wheel and move mouse/ball:
entire assembly rotates about a point (centroid?)

cursor anywhere roll middle button/wheel away:
assembly shrinks (zoom out)
Roll button towards self assembly grows (zoom in)

cursor on a component of the assembly, left button down, move mouse/ball:
component pans in plane parallel top view plane

cursor on a component of the assembly, right button down, move mouse/ball:
component rotates about a point.

cursor on a component of the assembly, control key depressed, middle button/wheel down, move mouse/ball:
entire asswembly pans parrallel to view plane

cursor on a component of the assembly, control key depressed, left button down, move mouse/ball:
a copy of the componenet pans parallel to view plane and remais when finished.

cursor anywhere, depress shift key, hold middle button/wheel down and move mouse/ball upward:
assembly grows (zoom in) ) like gnome spec.
move mouse/ball downward:
assembly shrinks (zoom out) ) like gnome spec.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Sameer Sahasrabuddhe <sameerds gmail com> wrote:
On 9/3/08, Christian Ridderström <christian ridderstrom gmail com> wrote:

> That's what I've been using, but the above is stone age in terms
> of useability compared to click'n'drag to pan...

Philip,

For the sake of clarity, can you please explain what "click and drag"
means to you? From some of your posts, it seems you have never seen a
scroll wheel on a  mouse, the one that also doubles as a middle
button. Most people don't use a trackball, and so dragging means
actually dragging the mouse on the surface (which where the action got
its name).

Sameer.
--
Research Scholar, Department of CSE, IIT Bombay
http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sameerds/