Re: Zoom Patch

On 8/31/08, Phillip Neiswanger <sigsegv0 gmail com> wrote:

1. This is the mouse I own.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230284952391

Errr ... ebay says the item is not available for bidding, and I couldn't see what it is. But I went to the
manufacturer's website for info, since that is less likely to suddenly disappear, and I am guessing that this
is what you have:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/156&cl=us,en

Nice. But not my type. They don't even sell it in my country! And anyway, that is not the point here.

Thus, it did not even occur to me to tie zooming to a  scrollwheel.

Makes sense.

What does it matter anyway?

It matters because Dia is a Gnome application, and in general Gnome tries to be very thoughtful about many
disparate but large classes of people. Hence I quoted this link, which any Gnome application is required to
follow. Anything from here, that is not implemented correctly, is a bug.

http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/input-mouse.html.en

Why can't Dia support mice with  and without scrollwheels?

No reason why it cannot or even should not.

Shouldn't this be something I can configure?

Definitely. But the defaults must follow the HIG, and you seem to be changing the default behaviour in the
Dia code itself.

Reguardless. The point of my patch was to give Dia a more interactive zoom
than what is currently provided by Dia. In the end, I don't care what
sequence of buttons I have to press or what kind of mouse movement is
required. I just would like to see a more interactive zoom.

So there are two things here:
1) A better feature
2) A change in the user interface

About the first, I am not qualified to comment and its not nice to bother someone who is actually
contributing solid code instead of just talking.

But about the second, here's what Gnome has to say about the middle button/wheel, from the same link:

  "Your application uses the middle button to paste the current
   PRIMARY (usually the last-highlighted) selection at the pointer
   position. (snipped a table about modifier keys). If you do intend
   to use the middle button for a different purpose somewhere,
   only do so as a shortcut for experienced users, and only for
   operations that can also be performed without using the right
   button or middle button."

And also:

  "Ctrl+scrollwheel-up should zoom into the window or control under
   the mouse pointer, and Ctrl+scrollwheel-down should zoom out.
   Zooming in this way should not move keyboard focus to the window
   or control being zoomed."

Sameer.
--
Research Scholar, Department of CSE, IIT Bombay
http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sameerds/