Re: Pan by holding down scroll button already works (Was: Zoom patch)

At 02.09.2008 11:48, Christian Ridderström wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Sameer Sahasrabuddhe wrote:

But about the second, here's what Gnome has to say about the middle button/wheel, from the same link:

 "Your application uses the middle button to paste the current
  PRIMARY (usually the last-highlighted) selection at the pointer
  position. (snipped a table about modifier keys). If you do intend
  to use the middle button for a different purpose somewhere,
  only do so as a shortcut for experienced users, and only for
  operations that can also be performed without using the right
  button or middle button."

Does PRIMARY pasting work in Dia?
Nope.

I just tried the following:
* Select an object
* Click the scroll wheel

If I do a click, nothing happens.
Unfortunately it is a lot more complicated ;) You have to specify your menu usage to be precise. With Dia's traditional right-click menu - which at least I am still using - the middle mouse button is already used to get on the object specific context menu (alternatively Ctrl+right click).

However, if I click and move the mouse, the windows pans :-) :-)

There is also panning (or better scrolling) possible with the mouse wheel:
Ctrl -> zoom
Shift -> horizontal
Alt -> vertical

So regarding 'pan', I'm pleased to say that:

    It's ALREADY possible to pan by clicking the scroll wheel and
    dragging the mouse. :-) :-)

I'm saying this in case others weren't aware that you can pan in dia in this way.

Now I only wish that it will be possible to adjust the behaviour of the scroll wheel (so that the scroll wheels zooms instead of pans vertically).

See above. Apparently this is possible since 2003, maybe we should not add further options but instead better advertize what's already there?