Re: Patch for Delete key behavior (for dia-0.96.1)

On 28.09.2007 17:46, Lars Clausen wrote:
On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 12:01 +0530, Sameer Sahasrabuddhe wrote:
On 9/27/07, Michael Ross <michael e ross gmail com> wrote:
My early experiences with computing were with CAD programs.  Pre-Windows
there was AutoCad (DOS) and a number of UNIX based systems.  Heavy users of
CAD, which has a very strong mouse or stylus use component like Dia, would
quickly find that placing the left hand on the keyboard and the right on the
mouse and using as many left hand keystroke shortcuts as possible was the
most productive manner of operating the programs.
Hear! Hear!

Allow me to hijack this and once again root for my personal favourite
combination: F2 and "second click" to enter text edit mode. This has
the additional plus point that it copies a well-known key-mapping,
from Nautilus and Explorer. In terms of user interaction, I see no
difference between a file icon and a text object ... their appearance
suggests the same interface for the related action of "editing text
visible in that icon". This also does not interfere with selecting an
object by simply clicking on it.

I have no problem with having F2 be one way to enter text edit mode.  My
worry about "second click" is that it will be problematic to
double-click for properties without accidentally entering text mode all
the time, or vice-versa.
"Second click" would also make it more difficult to move the selected text
object.

Hmm... Gnome HIG says that Alt-Enter should be
the default shortcut for Properties.  F2 is supposed to be Rename which
works fine in some cases, when the text is a name, but a pure text
object doesn't have a name as such.  "Enter" or "Space" could also both
reasonably be used for entering text mode, since they don't conflict
with anything else.
In Dia Space is currently used to restore the previous tool. And I'd like
to keep that because it is very handy to add and align many objects fast.

If "Alt-Enter" is Properties, then "Enter" would be
fairly logical for editing.  "Enter" text and such... I think I'd rather
have that listed in the menu than F2.

Agreed.

To exit text edit mode, I would vote for Shift-Esc as well as clicking
elsewhere, since Esc is strongly associated with abort. We could even
try "Enter" as an additional shortcut since that will round off the
analogy with file renaming. It does affect the ablity to enter
multiline text, but if we choose to do that, we can use "Ctrl-Enter"
like Pidgin to start a new line.

"Enter" as a shortcut works fine for places where you don't expect to be
able to have newlines, which is not the case here.  I'd find it an awful
interruption of my work flow if every time I think I'm just adding a
line, I end up leaving edit mode.  Not logical at all.  I'm mainly
thinking of the fact that the user will be entering and leaving text
edit mode frequently, and Shift-Esc is awkward.  I find Esc logical for
leaving a "special mode", but I'm probably not typical:)

As noted elsewhere Esc is even common for other vector editors, so fine
with me. Of course clicking outside of the object needs to work as well.

        Hans