Re: Patch for Delete key behavior (for dia-0.96.1)

On 9/26/07, Michael Ross <michael e ross gmail com> wrote:

I must admit, I am incredulous.  Who knew there was a way to delete the
letter to the right?

Me neither! Been using backspace in Dia all my life.

What is this about Ctrl-Delete?  I had no expectation until reading this
conversation that Ctrl-Delete was a shortcut for anything.  I have been
using Dia for several years now and never knew about that.  And how was I
supposed to gain that knowledge?  From the Help files?

I can't think of a way to indicate this to a user. A tool tip,
perhaps? Or maybe an entry for "Common Shortcuts" under "Help"?

bizarre programing changes regularly.  Excellent programs get changed for
the worse all the time (usually to shoehorn them into Windows) - maybe it
isWindows fault Dia doesn't work right, I thought.

Yeah! Life is a bitch. :) And Windows doubly so! :D

Everyone of these programs maps the delete key the same way.  In any of them
that have a special text block that gets edited (Solidworks for example)
when my cursor is between letters Delete acts in the expected manner.  If I
have merely activated the text block, but not put the cursor at some
location in the text, the Delete key does delete the block.  That's how it
is commonly done in my experience.

That's also how it is meant to be in Dia too.

Dia is the ONLY program I use that diverges from this behavior.

And Dia is the ONLY program in the list you mentioned that is managed
by a small bunch of volunteers who keep asking for help in terms of
code all the time.

Meanwhile, thanks for the tip about Ctrl-Delete. I had to go check that out
immediately.  Imagine using Dia and not know about that, eh?   If you all
are going to be hard-headed about this, then I am glad to know how it is
done.  I was tired of backspacing.

I am sure lots would agree on this. I do, for one.

Sameer.
--
Research Scholar, Department of CSE, IIT Bombay
http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sameerds/