Re: Patch for Delete key behavior (for dia-0.96.1)

On 27.09.2007 08:02, Lars Clausen wrote:
On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 22:40 +0200, Hans Breuer wrote:
This is what I tried to suggest, though not in the right thread but in this
one. It may be possible to enter and leave explicit text editing mode just
like it currently is: by clicking once into the text. But we need to
support two selection modes for all object having selctable text.

1) the current text editing starts in DiaObjects::selectf(). It would need
to be moved to an explicit DiaObject::edit_text().

2) a new DiaObjects::selectf() for text objects which in fact behaves like
every other object select function: just selecting the object but *not*
starting editing. To move a text object one would need to drag it outside
of the text to avoid starting editing.

Therein lies the rub: How would you move the basic TextObject, then?  It
only has its text as clickable area.

Just give it handles and let even non-resizable objects be moved by them.
Maybe even the one connection it has is enough to move it?

[...]
However, making the code that
switches between the two modes could be done even before that is sorted
out -- keyboard accelerator changes need to be about the same anyway.

As outlined above it may not be necessary to do any additional accelerator
changes if we finally can differentiate modes.

I think there are some shortcuts that would be confusing in text edit
mode, unless we accept that a number of shortcuts cause us to leave edit
mode.
I think there are some shortcuts which need to be ending the text edit
mode, e.g. the ones switching to a differnt mode/tool.

Others like cursor keys, shift-cursor (mark text), control-cursor (move by
word) and the like need to be bound to the text editing. Of course also
cut, copy paste should work on the text.

However, if we accept that text edit mode disallows a number of
object-specific shortcuts, we can use the otherwise
input-method-controlled accelerators in object edit mode.

Than there is a lot of keys to simplify entering special characters. The
rest of the key combinations is in a gray area. Should control-w still
close the window? I think it should. Should control-z undo the last text
editing action (like control-v) or should it just undo all text editing?

At the moment I think we need to iterate here, i.e. check in day to day use
if there are really confusing keys left if we keep the other diagram
shortcuts.
At least Esc would confuse me if it is the key to leave text editing mode
without also reverting the last text edit.

        Hans